The olive oil, “liquid gold” according to Homer, forms the basis of the Mediterranean diet. It is a nutritional treasure as it contains an abundance of nutrients. The main ones are:
Monounsaturated fatty acids
Monounsaturated fats, with oleic acid being the most important, are the “good” fat. In a balanced diet, they protect against cardiovascular disease and diabetes, as they reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) while simultaneously increasing HDL (“good” cholesterol) levels.
Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
Vitamin E, like other natural antioxidants, gives olive oil important antioxidant properties, as a result of which it protects the body’s cells and tissues from the development of free radicals during the metabolic process.
The most important phenols are tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol, oleocanthal and eleuropein. The polyphenols of olive oil are substances that have antioxidant, vasodilating, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
Since ancient times, the value of olive oil had been recognized by Hippocrates, Diocles and Dioscorides for its healing properties. Today, doctors and nutritionists, based on the results of scientific research, consider that olive oil, especially the highest category of olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, is beneficial for our health.
- Protects our cardiovascular system, contributes to the prevention of strokes and the reduction of blood pressure,
- Reduces the risk of depression,
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of diabetes,
- Protects against Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias,
- Protects the liver from oxidative stress and ulcerative colitis,
- Acts preventively for some forms of cancer, osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis,
- It has anti-aging properties and contributes to longevity and vitality.
The beneficial effect of olive oil on health, combined with its distinct taste, make it ideal to be consumed daily instead of other oils or fats.
Important: When buying olive oil we must keep in mind that there are quality categories. Extra virgin olive oil is a superior quality category of olive oil. Its acidity does not exceed 0.8 (0.8%). It has a strong fruity taste and aroma of freshly cut olive fruit. Produced directly from olives and only by mechanical methods.